Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Different


There are many topics or issues that I could begin with prior to explaining my first experience with a Food Pantry, but I will settle for one and hold back the others for a later discussion in this experiment.

The grocery store that you and I regularly shop at is open during hours based on the customers; this is simply not the case for Food Pantries. I really didn't want to start off on a negative thought, but this topic will be difficult not to begin with a negative experience.

No Food Pantries are open past 5:00pm - not a single one. So if you work, good luck! I realized that this morning, so I had to leave work early to make the 5:00pm cutoff. As I left work at 4:35pm, I called to make sure I had everything I needed. After she told me about a picture ID that had my current address, or a utility bill with my current address, she proceeded to explain that the Food Pantry would close promptly at 5:00pm. I told her that wouldn't be a problem since I was 5-10 minutes away. "Well if you don't think you will make it here and get your food by 5:00pm, maybe you should come tomorrow." Really? I have no food for tonight and I am sure there are people who are in the same boat. Waiting until tomorrow simply is not an option. I told her thanks and asked where to go when I got there.

As I pulled in, I couldn't find any signs directing me where to go. Thankfully, I see the 8"x11" sign that reads Food Pantry. I hurry inside to see two lovely ladies who welcome me. They were very nice and I could tell right away that I must have been talking to the church receptionist and not either of these two. I filled out a simple index card (how many in the house, full names of the people in the house, etc), selected items from a list that I liked and didn't like, and gave both back to them with my ID. About 5 minutes later they emerged with two bags of food. I thanked them, gave them the envelope with the letter and donation inside, and said goodbye. The two sacks were hard to handle because of the plastic bag on the bottom of the paper bag, but I managed to get them to my truck.

As I got home and found out what was inside, reality hit me...this is going to be a long three weeks. Here is a picture of what was in the bags. I purposely didn't select certain items: sweets; fruit juice; paper products; soap; etc. I did however get four of those items, so I am not sure how close they looked at the paper I circled.

Quickly I made an inventory and started to plan out meals for lunches and dinners of what went together. The first 4 meals were easy, then it got hard thinking of what went together with what?

Tonight is boxed macaroni & cheese (water-no milk or butter) and can tuna-I cant wait!!

Here is some stats I am tracking.
Pantry-6 miles round trip open 3 days a week from 3-5:00
2 cans veggies
2 cans fruit
2 cans beans
2 cans soup
2 cans tuna (1 large)
1 can tomato sauce
1 package spaghetti
1 pasta roni
1 box potato
2 boxes mac and cheese
1 apple juice blend (not sure what blend means)
1 french loaf
1 box girl scout cookies
1 pack of choc pudding
1 box of crackers
1 loaf of oat bread
1 box of corn flakes
1 peanut butter
1 jelly

No comments:

Post a Comment