Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I gave in last night

I finally went to the grocery store! I wanted meat so bad. The 2 cans of tuna and what ever little pieces of meat that are in soup-just wasn't enough for the past week. So I purchased 2-1lb packages of ground beef that were marked down and it cost me $4.78. I used on 1lb in last nights meal which was bow tie pasta and spaghetti sauce. It has been a while since I have eaten canned sauce, not sure what they put into it-but the preservitatives really change the taste of it. The meal looked more like a non boxed hamburger helper than pasta. It was very filling though.












Before I went to the store, I had to go to the doctor because I injured my elbow. When they did my blood pressure, they were very concerned....so they did it three times. 144/94-which is really bad. I have been giving platelets for the past year and it has around 117-120/72-80 (the last was 4-11-11 and it was 118/74). They did say that pain raises the blood pressure, but then asked if I have consumed a lot of sodium? Yes in the past week I have more than ever with this food pantry diet. Now I have to have it checked next week and the week after if it is still high.






That experience yesterday reminded me of "Super Size" the movie and how quickly he became not only unhealthy, but dangerously unhealthy. And we wonder why people in poverty are so obese and sick-this food that they are eating is terrible!






My challenge for everyone reading this is the next time you purchase food for the pantry remember these two things-



1. Only purchase things that you would eat (and think of the health part of it more than the cost)



2. Purchase things as meals, instead of mac n cheese, beans, corn, etc. This will help provide blanced meals as much as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment