Wednesday, May 11, 2011

What's in the bag?

I bring in the two bags, but have no idea what was inside. I wanted to check while I was in my truck, but I didn't. One bag was heavy, maybe that meant there would be a lot of food?

So what if the next time you go grocery shopping, you walked in said hello and they handed you your bags. No shopping, just hello and you have to wait until you get home to find out what you have.

There is one food pantry in this county that allows you to actually shop-all the others...you get what you get. So if your family doesn't like corn, you could open your bag when you get home and find 4 cans of corn. What if the family behind you likes corn? So does it matter, I mean if you are hungry enough you'll eat it right? What if it isn't a preference, but someone in the family is allergic to the corn? Now its a waste. But the bigger concern is where is the dignity?

Wikipedia states......Dignity is a term used in moral, ethical, and political discussions to signify that a being has an innate right to respect and ethical treatment.

So why not let people select the food they need? Most pantries will tell you "its to control the food that goes out and the amount of it", also they don't have to say no to someone who wants something they don't want to give out. There is a space issue allowing people to shop. But you can work around this issue. But they don't for a reason!


Warning this may be harsh!!
The main issue is what drives the decision being made. Where is the heart or the posture that is being taken? I can tell you there is no dignity in handing someone two bags of food and not letting them select it.
The message is loud and clear as if someone was yelling "unclean, unclean"! You are in need, and I have the food. I am helping you so I get to decide how you get it, what you get, how often you get it and when you get it. It's almost as if "I will not trust you from the moment you walk in". Instead I will do my good deed, by my standards. I will sleep better because I at least helped. But did they really? If you look at it through the lens of hunger only-yes there is more food in their stomach than when they came through the door. If these pantries no longer exist it will be a huge issue for hunger-so please don't get me wrong. But punch me in the gut and hand me food at the same time, doesn't make it right.
But I have a name, I have a story, I have needs, and I need someone to share Jesus with me. (more on this later)

If decisions and policy is created based on "let's make sure we don't get taken advantage of, or lets make sure there is always food on our shelves-BY-not giving it all away. There will never be dignity, you will always have food-yes, but you are missing out.

Instead why not look at the person walking in the door the way Jesus would. With compassion, with dignity, with humility and with Love.


No comments:

Post a Comment