Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Here we go

A few months ago I was asked to do some research on the Food Pantries in my area. After my interaction with the third Food Pantry, I realized how little I actually knew about them. I quickly found myself noticing issue, while hastily fixing them in my head with thoughts like, "If they only did this".

With each new thing I learned, I grew increasingly curious to learn something more. I had to learn that I couldn't fault them for two main reasons: First, they were doing more than I, or my church, was doing; Second, I didn't have a full picture of what was actually taking place. So I decided that I would learn about what was actually going on, with hopes to begin making a difference on my own.

But one initial question loomed: how much food was needed for a family to live on? There are (notably outdated) government studies, but they really didn't give me a realistic picture.

Think of it this way. We need water to survive. There are daily recommendations given to us by the government. Then there is how much we actually drink. Some drink more than what is recommended, but most drink less. Yet with where we live, it isn't a problem to drink as much as you personally want.

So when it came to daily food requirements, I wanted to get a "more accurate" view of how much was genuinely needed. I went to 5 families (that I knew were minimalist when it comes to food, meaning they live within their means) and asked them to track what they consumed for a period of 4 weeks. I chose different family dynamics as well as sizes. The various demographics would give me a more realistic picture of what families actually need.

There were things that never even crossed my mind when it came to helping provide food for those who are in need. So I decided to do a little research! I talked with about 25 people, letting them know what I was wrestling with. In doing so I received feedback which helped me with the project you will see on this Blog (thanks!!).

I am going to spend the next three weeks living off food from, and experiencing, the food pantries. The only food that I will eat that is in the house is the perishable food (it's not a lot, but I didn't think it would be wise to waste it). I will follow the rules and go to the pantries that I am permitted to based upon my location (county or township), document what they give me, talk about the experience of getting my food from a Food Pantry, and the experience in eating the food. I am also using a form of food stamps (cash) for the perishable items. Based on the government food stamp program, I am allowed $150 in food stamps. I have decided to cut that in half and will limit myself to $75.

For those who are worried about me taking food from those in need and misleading the pantries..... Upon completing this project, I will provide a letter to the Food Pantries I visited explaining my project, including a donation to cover the cost of the food that is given to me.

If you know me, my love for food, and my desire for quality food, the quality of food will be the first hurdle I think I will need to get over!!!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful idea...hope you can come up with some useful information. I wonder if anyone has a blog showing people how to make do and make interesting recipes from the types of food they receive at a food pantry.

    ReplyDelete